"When I was young I set out to change the world.
When I grew older I perceived that this was too ambitious,
so I set out to change my state.
This too, I realized as I grew older, was too ambitious,
so I set out to change my town.
When I realized that I could not do even this, I tried to change my family.
Now, as an old man I know that I should have started by changing myself.
If I had started with myself, maybe then I would have succeeded
in changing my family, the town, or even the state-
and who knows, maybe the world."
(unknown)

August 22, 2016

Win the thing

A lot of things resemble some sorts of sports games. When we compete with each other, in some ways, to win a thing. Maybe some (like me) aim only to win over themselves. Basically we fight to win the thing. Didn't make it and try do it again. That spirit.

So, what is the thing to win?? Defining the thing can mean what we might actually win. Say in the Olympic games, one might fight to win some matches, another might fight to win a medal, and the next one might fight to win the gold medal. The efforts one needs to win the three different things vary relatively. So does the pressure one will endure along the way. Assuming that many other factors can be overcome, then it depends on each of us to set what is the thing to win. (not everything). What's worth fighting.

Last few days the Olympic badminton games were exciting. Great spirit. Well, Malaysia missed the first gold medal (Ahhh!! So close...) and still won several silver medals. Already fought hard/smart. Already very inspiring.