"When I was young I set out to change the world.
When I grew older I perceived that this was too ambitious,
so I set out to change my state.
This too, I realized as I grew older, was too ambitious,
so I set out to change my town.
When I realized that I could not do even this, I tried to change my family.
Now, as an old man I know that I should have started by changing myself.
If I had started with myself, maybe then I would have succeeded
in changing my family, the town, or even the state-
and who knows, maybe the world."
(unknown)

September 09, 2016

Useless or used-less?

Clearing useless things helps to make rooms for the new and to keep things organized. But for a reason, I rarely describe a thing as "useless". I used to do so, but turns out other people found the thing useful. This happens quite often. We actually didn't know how to use the "useless" thing.

The things that seem to be "useless" are used less. Interestingly, people use those things for new purposes. For example, leftover food kept for feeding pet dogs; empty plastic bottles used for making various household things; a broken light bulb modified into something for decoration; and an empty shoes box added with a magnifier glass for making a video/image projector for smartphone. Lots of other DIY ideas (in this webpage). Besides that, there are also other things.

Rather than a "useless" thing, it is just a "used-less" thing. And our "used-less" thing may become others' unexpectedly useful thing. So, it's how to make use of the thing.