"When I was young I set out to change the world.
When I grew older I perceived that this was too ambitious,
so I set out to change my state.
This too, I realized as I grew older, was too ambitious,
so I set out to change my town.
When I realized that I could not do even this, I tried to change my family.
Now, as an old man I know that I should have started by changing myself.
If I had started with myself, maybe then I would have succeeded
in changing my family, the town, or even the state-
and who knows, maybe the world."
(unknown)

July 12, 2016

Connect things back

"You can only connect the dots looking backwards" (Steve Jobs).  Things are somehow connected.

Once upon a time, there lived a young man who had passion but was a little confused. A fresh grad (amateur and broke) living in a city. He had some ideas what he wants to become, but he knew very little of what that actually is. Later, the guy afforded his first-time trip to overseas (in his 20s) and backpack travelled alone, and he was amazed with things out there. But what had confused him stayed. He needed relevant skill training and work experience. Worst thing is, when tried to join a prestigious institute for training, he was told not qualified. (A little helplessly) the guy continued soul-searching. And never gave up.

Fortunately, a prestigious institute in overseas offered him a chance. Mere lucky!! He flied off and dedicated to get trained there. The experience in another country was eye-opening and he enjoyed seeing different things. Meeting different people. He had learned a new language and tried skiing and all sorts of things (e.g. ate a lot kimchi). Best thing is, the guy had got such an unique opportunity to explore what he never imagined that he can do. Sometimes things got difficult. He persevered because it's adventure (of a warrior??). Few years after, he completed the journey and returned from overseas. Still remember that he had one thing not finished.

The guy finally qualified for that previous institute and proceeded with advance training. Here, unexpected things happened. Critical thing is, there lived someone (like a special 'sifu') who had similar passion and was skilled in what the guy wants to become and knew what that is. He met the 'sifu' (not in a cave). A lot of learning for the guy since then and he was transformed. So he excelled. Although there were challenges to overcome. With support of friends and family and he was determined, so he made achievements eventually. Small ones to kickstart things. After the advance training ended... (back to the now)

Wait. It sounds like a 'Hero Story' version of my past. That's me!! I'm the guy, interestingly. The 'Hero Story' to be continued.